[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Do you UseYourBrain.co.uk? • View topic - Is Dell making things difficult?

Is Dell making things difficult?

You can use this section to ask questions or look for solutions which are hardware related.

Moderators: davey6, TazUk

Is Dell making things difficult?

Postby parispete on Sat May 05, 2007 7:10 pm

I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 which I am using to educate myself on computers. From a reasonably fast performance, it is now really slow.
I use Easy Cleaner to keep the registry in shape, Memtest to check the RAM and Ewido, Antivir, Defender and Adaware to keep it clean.
Can I therefore assume the problem is insufficient RAM?
If this is so, is there an easy way to buy the correct RAM rather than pay the money that Dell is asking? They advise PC2-4200 DDR2 533Mhz DIMM 240 pin, non-ECC and unbuffered.
Is there some simpler way to ensure I get the RAM type that I need?
parispete
Novice
Novice

Postby TazUk on Sun May 06, 2007 4:21 pm

Go to www.crucial.com/uk select make/model from the list and it will give you the correct upgrades, much cheaper than buying from Dell too :D

I've checked that model and it uses DDR PC2700 memory not DD2 PC4200 as you've been informed 8O
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

My mistake on the RAM

Postby parispete on Sun May 06, 2007 6:43 pm

Thanks, Taz, of course you're quite correct.
Somehow my info was fouled up with another matter, but Dell have straightened me out.
RAM is interesting and I want to understand it. For example, if I observe all the different requirements of Dell RAM for my Optiplex GX260, which are PC2100 or 2700, 184 pin, 2.5v, CL2.5, non-EEC and unbuffered, then should whatever I buy work in my Dell?
It seems likely to, but far from a sure thing.
The problem seems to lie with motherboard compatability, so I guess I need to know from someone which brand or type of RAM might look good, but will not work in my PC. My mobo is a Dell 02X378.
Thanks again for your kind help. Pete
parispete
Novice
Novice

Postby TazUk on Mon May 07, 2007 2:05 am

Any memory of that type should work but it's not always the case when it has to run with existing memory. Crucial memory is not only very good, (Crucial are part of Micron who are one of the top three memory producers in the world 8O ), if you order the ones listed for that model of machine they will guarantee it will work and will replace/refund it if it doesn't :D
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Understanding RAM

Postby parispete on Mon May 07, 2007 11:51 am

Thanks again, Taz
If I get stuck, Crucial will be my first stop. But it's understanding what I need that's interesting me, not just going to a shop.
Much of the anguish over compatability seems to come from people buying cheap high density RAM instead of low density, which is almost certain to work.
The next hurdle is ECC or non-ECC, then buffered or not.
Are these factors critical?
Pete
parispete
Novice
Novice

Postby TazUk on Mon May 07, 2007 1:32 pm

ECC and/or registered memory is normally only used in servers or professional workstations. Your machine will not require it and is most likely not compatible with it anyway.

When adding memory it's best to match the new memory with the existing memory as closely as possible. There should be a sticker on the memory module(s) in your PC which states what speed it is, i.e. PC2700, it might also as the CAS latency which will be 2.5 or 3. So basically if you've already got PC2700 CAS 2.5 memory then you'd add more memory of the same type. Now as things progress the older, slower memory stops getting produced so your not always able to get exactly the same in which case faster memory should be fine. PC2100 is getting pretty rare these days so PC2700 or even PC3200 is becoming the minimum.
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Dell Optiplex RAM

Postby parispete on Mon May 07, 2007 5:37 pm

Thanks, Taz
I feel much more confident now.
cheers
Pete
parispete
Novice
Novice