[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Do you UseYourBrain.co.uk? • View topic - WinXP SP3 -any disadvantages/problems ?

WinXP SP3 -any disadvantages/problems ?

Any software related problems should go here.

Moderators: davey6, TazUk

WinXP SP3 -any disadvantages/problems ?

Postby paul48 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:43 am

Had many probs with a Dell Inspiron 640 laptop, largely from lack of any warranty service culminating in hd failure/replacement. Reinstalled WinXP MCE Ed. SP2 from the Dell 'Recovery Disk', and reinstalled basic Dell drivers from their website. 2 Years back I had been recommended to use ZoneAlarm instead of Windows FireWall, due to probs using Skype. The new ZoneAlarm I downloaded will no longer install, saying I need to install a 'Hot Fix' from MS. Got said 'Hot Fix' but it won't install...something abt a pswd.
Elsewhere I read it is good to install SP3 as it is supposed to fix a range of problems, so I was thinking to do that as an alternative to persuing the hotfix.

My question is, are there ANY disadvantages to installing SP3 ? (I seem to recall reading somewhere, MS slipped in some 'malware' to do with 'upgrading' .NET (I currently have v1.1) to v3.5 where the Firefox browser is adversely altered without you being informed)
paul48
Beginner
Beginner

Re: WinXP SP3 -any disadvantages/problems ?

Postby TazUk on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:18 am

I've had no problems with SP3 on any of the PC's I've installed it on, most of which are running Firefox :-D
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: WinXP SP3 -any disadvantages/problems ?

Postby davey6 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:28 pm

like wise i have not had any problems with sp3 since its beta days.

there is one small bug still in sp3 and thats to do with HD sound and the microsoft UAA driver install.
microsoft say they fixed it but that was a lie its still there.
other then that i can't say i have run in to any problems.

i would advise you to upgrade to IE 8 now if you use IE at all.
davey6
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Return to Software Problems