[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Do you UseYourBrain.co.uk? • View topic - USER32.DLL: TrackMouseEvent.

USER32.DLL: TrackMouseEvent.

Any software related problems should go here.

Moderators: davey6, TazUk

Postby tazhearts on Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:11 pm

When trying to open certain programs on windows 98 the following
message appears:

ERROR STARTING PROGRAM

THE CM4.EXE FILE IS LINKED TO MISSING EXPORT

Will downloading and unzipping user32.dll fix this problem?

I've downloaded the user32.dll file from this site but don't know how to unzip it?

You suggest it should be placed within the Windows/System file, however when doing this with UltimateZip it asks for an archive file before I can proceed.

What do I do next?

Please help......

Thanks in advance.

Tazhearts
tazhearts
Beginner
Beginner

Postby TazUk on Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:44 pm

Firstly I'd find out what CM4.EXE is as that seems to be causing the problem also I'd run a full virus scan making sure the definition files are up to date first.
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby tazhearts on Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:47 pm

Tazuk,

Thanks for your promt response.

CM4.exe is Championship Manager 4 playable beta demo which I have on CD ROM, I don't think that's the problem, no-one else has had problems with it, I treid downloading it from the net as well but the same message appeared.

When I open Word, it opens and then the following message appears:

PROGRAM ERROR

Your program is making an invalid link call to a DLL.file

I think this must be a related problem.

Doing virus check just now.

Any other suggestions.

Cheers

Tazhearts
tazhearts
Beginner
Beginner

Virus Check completed

Postby tazhearts on Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:28 pm

tazuk,

performed virus check with AVG 6.0 - no problems......

tazhearts
tazhearts
Beginner
Beginner

Postby TazUk on Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:04 pm

Ok it's possible your using a DLL file for a different OS, can you find USER32.DLL, right click on it and select properties then select the version tab and report back the version, description and copyright date. Also the size and date of the file.

Is it the first or second edition of Windows 98 that your using?
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby tazhearts on Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:34 pm

Tazuk,

Firstly I really appreciate your help, great website you've got.

Located USER32.dll within C/Windows/Systems

File Version: 4.00.950
Description: Win32 USER32 core component
Copyright: Copyright@Microsoft Crop. 1991 - 1995

Type: Applictaion Extension
Size: 43.5KB (44,544 bytes), 45,956 bytes used
Created: Unknown
Modified: 24 August 1996 11:11:10
Attributes: Archive (only box that is ticked)

I'll just find out which windows version I have and let you know......

Thanks again

Tazhearts

P.S. I'll have to shout you a few beers.......
tazhearts
Beginner
Beginner

Postby TazUk on Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:00 pm

Judging by the version number and the date it sounds like the one which came with Windows 95 :?

Try this one, click on the word link then select save when prompted and then select your Windows\System directory.

TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby tazhearts on Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:40 pm

Taz UK,

Followed your instructions as directed.

Everything goes fine untill the file is 99% downloaded, then the following error message appears:

ERROR COPYING FILE

Cannot create or replace USER32:
The specified file is being used by windows.

This can only be ok's and the entire file can't be downloaded.

Any other ideas....

Thanks

Tazhearts
tazhearts
Beginner
Beginner

Postby tazhearts on Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:13 pm

Tazuk,

Ignore me if I'm talking rubbish.....

It appears to me that the USER32.DLL file is in constant use when windows is running and as such cannot be updated.

I have the latest USER32.DLL in my C drive at the moment (C:\windows) to be presise whilst the problem USER32.DLL is in C:\windows\system.

Is there some way of overwriting the old USER32.DLL with the new one outwith Windows ie. in dos?

If so how is this done?

I'm not too familiar with the dos commands.

Thanks

Tazhearts

P.S. for your info the icons for the user32.dll files mentioned above is a white bit of paper with the top right corner folded back. There is a silver and gold cog in the paper.
tazhearts
Beginner
Beginner

Postby TazUk on Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:50 pm

Ok when Windows first boots up you get a black screen with Starting Windows at the top, at that point press the F8 key, if the Windows logo appears your too slow ;). From the menu select Command Prompt which should take you to a C:\ DOS prompt, from there type in the following commands :-

CD\WINDOWS
COPY USER32.DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\

It should prompt you as to whether you wish to overwrite the existing file, say yes.

The new file should now be in the Windows\System directory so do a CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot the PC.
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Return to Software Problems