[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Do you UseYourBrain.co.uk? • View topic - my network places

my network places

Any software related problems should go here.

Moderators: davey6, TazUk

my network places

Postby MIKE C. on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:47 am

I have 3 computers (Main, Wife, Fam Room) networked through one Linksys router. All are WinXP pro. After setting up a home network I can get them to see each other and it works well.

THE PROBLEM IS:
After a few days of not using the network, it stops working. I have gone through this process many times with the same result.

I think I have isolated the problem to the main computer but have no idea what to look for.

When it stops working it's the main that can't see or be seen on the network. The others still see each other.
MIKE C.
Novice
Novice

Re: my network places

Postby TazUk on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:01 am

Do you have a software firewall, including the built in Windows one, installed on that PC?
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby MIKE C. on Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:21 am

WinXP firewall is turned on on all 3 computers.
There is no other firewall on any of the computers.
Don't forget that it does work for a day or two with the XP firewall on.
MIKE C.
Novice
Novice

Postby TazUk on Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:56 pm

Just to rule it out can you go intro Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Exceptions and make sure File and Printer Sharing is ticked on all three computers.
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby MIKE C. on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:03 pm

Yup...File and Printer Sharing is ticked on all three computers.
For ease on typing:
Main = 1
Wife = 2
Fam Rm = 3

I turned off WinXP Firewall
Also running Eset smart security which does have a firewall.

This is really crazy... Now I have it working as follows:
1 sees 2 & 3
2 only sees 1
3 sees 1 & 2
NUTS!!!
Please stay tuned. Without changing anything I predict it'll go away in a day or two :sad:
MIKE C.
Novice
Novice

Postby TazUk on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:53 pm

Windows networking has something called the master browser, basically the PC's on the network have what Microsoft term an election and one of the PC's is designated the master browser. the other PC's then refer to this to find out what other devices are on the network. If the master browser doesn't have a complete list of the PC's on the network then when the others query it you can end up with the situation you're in whereby not all the PC's can see each other. You can get around most of the issues with Windows networking by assigning static IP addresses on all the PC's and configuring the LMHOSTS file on each PC with a list of the other PC's.
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby MIKE C. on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:20 am

Just as I thought would happen. It's changed on it's own.
Now:
Computer 1 sees no other computer
Computer 2 only sees computer 1
Computer 3 only sees computer 1
Isn't this the craziest thing you ever heard of?

And as far as TazUK's suggestion.....
Messing with IP addresses and LMHOSTS files is above my pay grade (knowledge)
MIKE C.
Novice
Novice

Postby TazUk on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:01 am

When you ran through the networking wizard on the PC's did you say yes to sharing files/printers on all the PC's?
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby MIKE C. on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:00 pm

Yes, I said yes to sharing files/printers on all the PC's.
All file sharing between all 3 computers works well for a day or two then changes by itself.
MIKE C.
Novice
Novice

Return to Software Problems