[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Do you UseYourBrain.co.uk? • View topic - Dual OS Vista/XP

Dual OS Vista/XP

Any software related problems should go here.

Moderators: davey6, TazUk

Dual OS Vista/XP

Postby SALEMBABIE on Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:34 am

Hi :)

I hope that you can help me,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A205 and it came with Vista Home Premium with service pack 1. It has a Intel Celeron 540 @1.86 Ghz, 2 Gb ram, 32 BIt. I want to install my legal copy of XP on it as well as Vista. Here is where I am so far... I created a partition on the hard drive and named it E: which is not a letter I was using before, it is a healthy primary partition 2.61 GB in size formatted in NTFS. I copied all of my legally purchased XP files into E: using drag and drop from files from the XP cd. When I right click and open or right click run as administrator the WINNT32.EXE Vista asks my permission to run the program which I allow, acts like it is going to work then throws up a pop up stating "Blocked by Program Compatibility Assistant" "set up can not continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version you are trying to install".
Ok this is where my problem lies, do I have to mark the E: partition active? It does not have a working OS as of yet. I don't think I should... I have so many ideas on what I could do I won't make you read them all lol. I have several programs that are not Vista compatible I need this to work. I don't want to get rid of the Vista because... well... it is pretty lol and if I'm not doing anything but surfing the web it's ok. I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Thank You,
Salembabie
SALEMBABIE
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Dual OS Vista/XP

Postby M.A.X on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:54 am

Salembabie

Read >
M.A.X
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Dual OS Vista/XP

Postby davey6 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:01 am

before you downgrade that laptop do yourself a big fav
check with toshiba for windows xp drivers first.

if the laptop came shipped with vista the chances are they won't support it under windows xp and your going to have a big fight on your hands trying to find the correct drivers.

to give you some idea of what you face have a read of this lot on my forum, you can see it is possible but takes take and effort.
http://www.davesdrivers.com/forum/forum ... php?fid=41
davey6
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Return to Software Problems