[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Do you UseYourBrain.co.uk? • View topic - problem opening files

problem opening files

Any software related problems should go here.

Moderators: davey6, TazUk

problem opening files

Postby craigie on Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:16 am

hi guys/girls

im having problem opening files on my pc, i downloaded something and i think it may have done something to my pc

i cannot open the likes of msn messenenger or any other programme in the "all programmes" list

all the programmes just show a white box

it says "windows cannot open this file"
to open this file windows needs to know what programme created it windows can go online to look it up automatically or you can manually select it from a list of programmes on your computer.

someone mentioned to me it may be a missing dll file, i noticed i can download missing dll files from the main page but if i need to can anyone tell me what one i need?

its frustrating to say the least :(

thanks in advance

Craig
craigie
Beginner
Beginner

Postby davey6 on Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:29 am

what windows are you running ?

if your running windows xp use the built in system restore and go back to a date before you downloaded the software that you think messed your computer up.

if all programs is missing , click start , search, type , system restore.
the top main shortcut / icon found in the search list will be the system restore option, double click it to start off the restore.
davey6
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby craigie on Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:58 am

cheers buddy

ive tried again but its not even letting me open the system restore option

is it possible to access this from a restart?

thanks again

Craig
craigie
Beginner
Beginner

Postby davey6 on Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:37 pm

try to access system restore from safe mode.

to get in to safe mode on xp please follow this.

just after your bios has post start pushing the F8 key.
just before xp boots you will get a submenu , choose safe mode and start the pc that way then see if you can access system restore
davey6
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby craigie on Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:21 pm

hi there

i managed to access system restore by loading up in safe mode and i selected a date from over a month ago.

i loaded back up but still the same

it wont open up any programme in my programmes list and the programmes that are effected show a white "box" with another "little box" in the middle with 3 types of "dots" a red blue and green one

ive been trying allsorts but i dont know what i need to do :(
craigie
Beginner
Beginner

Postby davey6 on Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:24 am

to be honest i think the best way to clear all your problems would be a clean install of windows.

that would clear all faults and replace all missing files.

trying to pin down what files are missing from this point on would take for ever
davey6
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby craigie on Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:02 pm

cheers buddy, ive just bought an external hard drive so i can transfer everything over so i'm going to re-boot and sort it out

thanks again mate

Craig
craigie
Beginner
Beginner

Return to Software Problems