power supply

Trouble finding your drivers? Post a request here and we will locate it for you. Don't forget to give us as much information as possible and to bookmark this page. Check back for your driver or answer to your question.

Moderators: davey6, TazUk

power supply

Postby pevers1972 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi, Do not know what to do now,computer will not start,initially when I switch it on no lights show up but the 3 fans turn slighlty then stop,there is a small green light on the motherboard so some power is getting through, I bought a tester but unsure as to what to look for, when I put this into the 24-pin socket it emits a screech,a small 5v light appears, help please as I have purchased a new power supply with a greater output but I am wary to instal this. Dave
pevers1972
Novice
Novice

Re: power supply

Postby davey6 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:30 am

its a pretty easy job to change the power supply unit in a pc.

if your that unsure what you should do is just remove the 4 screws on the back of your computer and pull the old one out but leave all the connections in place.

put your new psu in the pc and screw it down.
pull all the new cables over the top of the pc.
start with the large 20/24 pin power connector on the motherboard, pull the old one off and push the new one on.

from that point follow your old power psu. as your remove one lead from the old psu replace it with a new one from your new psu.
its really not that hard as the plugs go in one way and one way only, most are square or D shape on the hard drive cdrom, or flat on sata drives.
the only one to pay good attention to is the floppy drive it is possible to fit that one the wrong way.

those psu testers are not much good and it depends on what one you bought, however it should light up on the 3, 5, +12 and -12 lines on the tester to prove the psu is working, but with that said some will do that but when put under heavy load in the pc the protection kicks in and the psu shuts down.
davey6
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Return to Other Device