[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Do you UseYourBrain.co.uk? • View topic - Broadband internet query

Broadband internet query

You can use this section to ask questions or look for solutions which are hardware related.

Moderators: davey6, TazUk

Broadband internet query

Postby phooey74 on Thu May 01, 2003 6:29 pm

Phooey74
phooey74
Novice
Novice

Postby TazUk on Thu May 01, 2003 9:01 pm

TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby phooey74 on Sat May 10, 2003 10:11 pm

Yes it is!
I have an Alcatel speed touch USB ADSL with 576.0 Kbps Connection speed.
Device Type:ISDN channel.
Phooey74
phooey74
Novice
Novice

Postby TazUk on Sat May 10, 2003 11:10 pm

ADSL is an always on connection but it does require authentication so although the lines active it can't be used until you've logged on. Because your using a modem to connect your PC to the ADSL line it is the PC which has to do this authentication which is why you have to do it each time you switch your PC on. To avoid this you'd will have to buy either an Ethernet ADSL modem such as the D-Link DSL300G+ or an ADSL router, these would then take care of the authentication and could be left on all the time.

Hope that helps :)
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby phooey74 on Sun May 11, 2003 5:08 pm

Thank you,This explains quite a lot!
So is it worth buying the things you said or not? Have u any idea on the aproximate cost?

There is on other thing i'd like to ask conserning my broadband Alcatel modem!
I wondered if i can change my ISP server without having to buy another broadband modem!
I'd like to move from tiscali (cause it's slow and havin a lot of problems with email not always working etc) but every ISP homepage i've visited they want to sell you the broadband modem for around £50,but i've got one so seems a waste of money!
Is there a way around this?
Can you suggest a good ISP. Can't have ISP sites like Telewest cause not got cable!
Thanks.
Phooey74
phooey74
Novice
Novice

Postby TazUk on Sun May 11, 2003 9:21 pm

For ADSL in the UK the two best ISP's are Nildram and Zen, pop over to www.adslguide.org.uk for more information and users comments :D

Yep your Alcatel modem should work fine with whichever ISP you decide to use. If you go for a wires only service then the ISP wont supply any hardware ;)

The D-Link ADSL Ethernet modem is about £68 and routers are just under £100, whether you should get one or not depends on how much your willing to spend and how annoying the logging in is :?
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby phooey74 on Mon May 12, 2003 2:42 am

Thanks i'll have a look at these ISP site!

Also thanks for the price info, unfortunaly as a as a single parent on V.low income i doubt i'll ever be that annoyed at signing in all the time!! I will now look forward to signing in knowing how much i've saved!!
Thanks again for the info.
Phooey74
phooey74
Novice
Novice

Postby TazUk on Mon May 12, 2003 10:01 am

TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby Peter on Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:53 pm

Peter
Intermediate