[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Do you UseYourBrain.co.uk? • View topic - Need advice

Need advice

You can use this section to ask questions or look for solutions which are hardware related.

Moderators: davey6, TazUk

Need advice

Postby harrison.ben on Wed May 14, 2008 5:21 am

hii every one, i am ben . new here.

I'm thinking to buy a laptop for gaming as well as programming.
Pls suggest me a good config , i am very new to all these stuff.
which brand to go for? how much budget needed?
Pls bear with my questions!

Thanks in advance
harrison.ben
Beginner
Beginner

Postby charles22 on Thu May 15, 2008 7:47 am

@ben

im also new to this forum

For gaming u can go for Dell as they are very very good @gaming
If u consider only for work you can go for either Acer or Asus or even Lenovo
Read some reviews,
Choose something thats apt for ur needz.

Budget - You can get a pretty decent lappy for approx £500,
It can go up to 800 as per config changes
charles22
Beginner
Beginner

Postby TazUk on Thu May 15, 2008 9:15 am

What kind of games do you play?
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby davey6 on Thu May 15, 2008 9:27 am

you have got to be looking at a good £1000 for a laptop of good spec these days.

remember vista is the norm now and goes shipped with all new machines.
its not the best windows to start programming with and can be a bit unstable on older games.

think about taz question , what sort of games do you want to play not just now but 6 to 12 months time then look for a machine that would run those sort of games.

little tip for you
more memory is imporant , ( 2 gig min ) do not go for one with gfx built in the chipset if you want to play games
davey6
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby TazUk on Thu May 15, 2008 4:10 pm

TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby davey6 on Thu May 15, 2008 10:34 pm

davey6
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby harrison.ben on Fri May 16, 2008 10:19 am

Hi all,
games i wanna play are old ones like Age of emperors, mythology, Project IGI 1n2 and also wanna try newones like halflife, team fortress2 etc.

I dont want Vista, I am more comfortable with XP.

wanna try these
160GB,2GB,2.1Ghz,Core 2 Duo,Intel Chipset ,XP
£830
250GB,2GB,2.4Ghz,Centrino Duo,Intel Chipset ,XP
£910

what will you say??
Can these configs comfortable with newr games? These are pretty good for my work as told by my frns
harrison.ben
Beginner
Beginner

Postby TazUk on Fri May 16, 2008 10:54 am

The Lenovo has a dedictated video controller so would be fine. The Samsung laptops I've come across haven't been that reliable, they may have improved since then though.

Spec wise the HP Pavilion dv2700 is pretty impressive, but that comes with Vista :?
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby davey6 on Sat May 17, 2008 1:46 am

i agree i have had samsungs pop up on my site with broken sound cards e.t.c

what a about a mid range dell ?

all these have nvidia 8400 gfx.
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/produ ... l=en&s=dhs

not the best gfx but better then onboard thats for sure and should play all the games you list.

dell list these shipped with vista but i will say one thing for dell if you ask them to ship a machine with xp they will might cost you around £30 extra but well worth it.
davey6
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Return to Hardware Problems