[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Do you UseYourBrain.co.uk? • View topic - motherboard memory not recognised

motherboard memory not recognised

You can use this section to ask questions or look for solutions which are hardware related.

Moderators: davey6, TazUk

motherboard memory not recognised

Postby pevers on Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:08 pm

pevers
Novice
Novice

Postby TazUk on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:25 am

You can download the manual

It should take 2 x 256MB giving you a total of 512MB so it seems to be a problem with those specific 256MB DIMM's :?
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

memory problems

Postby pevers on Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:24 pm

Thanks, have downloaded and printed out manual but still not any wiser, have now been told that the memory I have bought has the new 16x32 pin configuration and I should have had 16x 64, no idea what they have been talking about, where can I get hold of this old memory, and more important what is this memory marked as. Cheers again, Dave
pevers
Novice
Novice

Postby TazUk on Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:03 pm

eBay is probably your best bet for getting rid of the memory you have now and buying some replacements.

The pin configuration of the DIMM itself won't be different, what might be different is the type DRAM's it's populated with. For instance a 256MB DIMM way come with 8 x 32MB (256Mbit) DRAM's or 16 x 16MB (128Mbit) DRAM's.
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

memory problem

Postby pevers on Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:01 pm

My motherboard memory has 2-memory stick fittings,what is the exact memory I need and how can I figure this out, I am still `grasping at straws` all I have been told `best of luck`The numbers, name on the memory are of a differnt language. Reading the manual just seems to make this worse. What am I kooking for onebay? Please elp me! Dave
pevers
Novice
Novice

Postby TazUk on Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:34 pm

Sometimes with memory it is down to luck :?

The manual states that it takes PC100 memory, the confusing bit is how much. I read it as a maximum of 256Mb per DIMM but it could also mean a combined total of 256Mb :roll:

Is it really worth the time and effort trying to get the right memory? Would buying a new motherboard which uses your existing memory be a better option?
TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby davey6 on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:20 pm

this may help you.

this old emachine is part of the old e tower 600 series,

all these machines came shipped with 64meg of memory and can be upgraded to 256 max.

or 128 in both slots.

this is still listed at emachines and is the same for all the 600 series the only difference was the cpu and drives but the board was the same.

eTower 600ix Support Information
Specifications
Specifications
CPU: Intel® Celeron®™ 600MHz (w/128KB L2 Cache) FC-PGA CPU
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® 98 Second Edition
Memory: 64MB SyncDRAM (up to 256MB)
Hard Drive: 15GB HDD (Ultra DMA EIDE)
Optical Drive: 40x Max. CD-ROM Drive
Video: Intel® Direct 3D 2X AGP (shared memory)
Audio: Crystal CS4281 3D PCI Audio
Network: eMachines® Network Internet Service
Modem: 56K ITU V.90 PCI Fax/Modem
Peripherals: PS/2 19-buttons Internet Keyboard / Mouse, Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other: 2 USB Ports (1 is on Front), Audio In & Out / Game Port on Front, 1 Serial / 1 Parallel
Expansion Slots: 3 Expansion Slots
davey6
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

memory

Postby pevers on Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:27 pm

Hi there again, read all comments, the problem being my wife refuses to allow me to do anything other than replace memory,something simple which doesn`t get in her way. My problem being computers,she thinks are a complete waste of time so I have very little `space` to work in. Ideally I had hoped for a new computer but alas not to be. Why did the old config.1-256,1-64 work and be recognised. `Belarc Adviser` listed both rams as being available? Is there any preference in the way memory is avaible to the computer. Dave
pevers
Novice
Novice

memory problems

Postby pevers on Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:00 pm

Hi again,located old 64 mem.stick,seems to be PC100,re-installed it,works fine,faster,again recognised by `Belarc Advisor` states total memory available now 320 MB. Would PC100-256 memory worth a try,is this available? Another solution? Dave
pevers
Novice
Novice

Postby davey6 on Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:07 pm

well you are already doing more then emachines say.

unless the machine has had a bios update over the years that allows extra memory to be added.

you can still get pc100 memory but i would not buy new at this stage.
go to ebay and pick up a tested second hand sim.

try and match what you already have in the machine if your 256 is single sided get another if its double sided get another of those.
davey6
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

memory problem

Postby pevers on Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:33 pm

Hi an associate of mine lent me an old 256-Sdram bit, hyhundi,I think but would not work,either by itself or with my existing 256-sdram memory. Gave me the recovery screen,with options safemode with networking,etc when I tried to re-start it wouldn`t with this new memory. I have beeen also informed that in the bios there is an option to turn off some kind of program which possibly is blocking this double memory, any ideas on this possibility, how is this achieved, it seems to be only possible on the old bios, or could I alter the bios in any other way-Too technical for me possibly, anyway another thought for you, Dave
pevers
Novice
Novice

memory

Postby pevers on Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:25 pm

Could this program be called ECC. You can switch this on or off???Dave Where is this located
pevers
Novice
Novice

Re: memory

Postby TazUk on Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:56 pm

TazUk
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

motherboard memory

Postby pevers on Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:10 pm

pevers
Novice